Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital in Wolfeboro, NH loves the great outdoors!
Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital in Wolfeboro, NH takes great care of us!
Another Happy Pet Client of Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital in Wolfeboro, NH
For the Best in Small Animal Care, we go to Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital in Wolfeboro, NH!

(603) 569-3777
fax (603) 569-3360

Our Location and Hours

667 North Main Street
(NH Route 109)
Wolfeboro, NH  03894
Monday:
8am - 6pm
 
Tuesday:
8am - 6pm
 
Wednesday:
8am - 6pm
 
Thursday:
8am - 6pm
 
Friday:
8am - 6pm
 
Saturday:
Closed
 
Sunday:
Closed
 

Search Our Website

Boarding Kennels

Boarding Kennels

 

1) Alton Bed and Biscuit (Debbie Glazier) 581-8111

2) Lakes Region Pet Resort (Cindi and Mike Ingalls - Meredith) 250-8001

3) Profile Golden Kennels (Barrington) 332-4333

4) Country Brook Kennels (Rochester) 332-2972

5) Doggie Day Care - Thunder Hill Farm (Barnstead/Alton) 776-2733

6) Mirabelle Kennel (Effingham - Dogs Only) 539-6156

7) Cheryl Peavey (Middleton) Grooming too 473-2380 Mention us and get 20%off first stay

8) Two Paws Up - 101 Ossipee Lake Rd, Tamworth 539-6266

9) White Mountain Kennels Rte 113 North Sandwich 284-7108

10) Catnaps 163 Rochester St, Berwick ME 207-698-5000

11) Bowsers Bedrooms Rte 202 Lebanon, ME 207-457-2000

12) Still Water Kennels (100 Meaderboro Rd. Rochester) 335-6424

13) Happy Dogs Daycare (Erin Cotton, Sanborneville) 522-5367

14) RML Kenneling (Richard and Amanda Maloney, Effingham) 393-3330 / 986-7456 

Groomers

Groomers

 

1) Linda Clifford (Hayes Rd., Alton) 569-6362

2) Burke's Dirty Dog (Beth Burke - Tuftonboro) 569-9969

3) Brittany's Mobile Dog Grooming 651-5005

4) Kari Lauber (Dame Rd, Tuftonboro) 515-0027

5) Karynn Bechard (North Sandwich) 284-7387

6) Two Paws Up (Tamworth) 539-6266

7) Cheryl Peavey (Middleton) Boarding also 473-2380

Poison Control Hotlines

ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

Available 24 hrs a day, $65 fee

(888) 426 - 4911

 

Pet Poison Helpline

A 24 hour, nationwide service offered by the Pet Poison Control Center. Small fee charged.

(800) 213 - 6680

Pet Loss Support - Grief Counseling

Tufts University

(508) 839 - 7966   Mon-Thurs 6-9pm

 Cornell University

(607) 253 - 3932

 Colorado State University - Argus Institute

(970) 297 - 1242

 University of Illinois

(217) 244 - CARE (2273) or 877-394-CARE (2273)

 P&G Pet Care, Pet Loss Support Hotline

(888) 332 - 7738

Bland Diet

Remember - your pet has an upset stomach!  Food and water may need to be limited or withheld for 12-24 hours.  Then small amounts of water (ice cubes first) and small portions of bland diet can be fed.  Feed this until pet is "back to normal," then introduce regular food into diet over the course of 1-2 days.  If vomiting/diarrhea persist or your animal is acting depressed or lethargic, you should contact our office for an appointment.

Diet Recipe:  1 part boiled hamburger, chicken or turkey (pour off water/grease first)

                     4 parts cooked white rice

We also offer prescription bland dry and wet foods here at the office for your convienence.

Removing Skunk Smell

Do yourself a favor, and don't try to wash your pet immediately after it was "skunked."  Let the dog "cure" outside for a couple of hours to let the smell dissapate.  Do not let the freshly skunked dog into your house either!  The smell will transfer onto your furniture, rugs and clothes.  If he has to come in for the bath, wrap him in something washable to transfer him to the tub.

Skunk Smell Remover

1 quart hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

2 tablespoons Dawn liquid dish soap

Mix the ingredients in a large bowl because it will foam up - a lot.  Wash the pet while it is still foaming.  If it sits around it will lose its efficacy.  Don't store in an air-tight container because it will blow up.  Do not get this in your pet's eyes!  If you need to wash your pet's face, call us to get some eye ointment to protect it's eyes.  This brew will also work for clothes, humans and unlucky cats.

Common Holiday Toxins

As the holidays approach, we all need to be aware that many holiday decorations and foods can pose a risk to our pets.  If you ever suspect that your pet may have eaten or been exposed to something toxic, please call our office or one of the emergency clinics for further instructions.

 

Antifreeze  Antifreeze can be fatal to dogs and cats if ingested - even at the smallest doses.  Be aware that not only is this chemical commonly used in your cars, but it is often put in the pipes and toilets when winterizing a home.

Chocolate  Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine that can cause stimulation of the central nervous system, an increased heart rate and tremors.  Cocoa beans and baking chocolate have the highest amounts of these stimulants and white chocolate the least.  Clinical symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and increased drinking and urination.  Poisoning can also occur if your pet ingests cocoa bean mulch that is used in gardens to help deter snails and slugs.

Macadamia Nuts If ingested by a dog, macadamia nuts can cause muscular weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, abdominal pain and muscle stiffness.

Christmas Decorating Hazards Holiday plants such as holly, mistletoe, lilies and poinsettias can cause vomiting and diarrhea if eaten.  Some of these plants can even cause kidney failure or heart issues.  Ribbons and tinsel can cause obstuctions in your pets' intestines if eaten.  Avoid animal exposure to electrical cords by covering or hiding them.

Xylitol Xylitol is a sugar substitute found in many sugar-free gums and candies.  It can be very dangerous in dogs because it causes a fatal drop in blood sugar, as well as hepatitis.  Clinical signs include vomiting, lethargy and incoordination, collapse, seizures and death if not treated.

Grapes and Raisins Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs, so make sure they're not left where your dog can help himself, like in a bowl on a coffee table.

Ice Melt Pets may be exposed to ice melts that have been spilled, applied to sidewalks, or improperly stored.  Ingestion can result in vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, tremors/seizures and death.