Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital in Wolfeboro, NH loves the great outdoors!
Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital in Wolfeboro, NH takes great care of us!
Another Happy Pet Client of Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital in Wolfeboro, NH
For the Best in Small Animal Care, we go to Winter Harbor Veterinary Hospital in Wolfeboro, NH!

(603) 569-3777
fax (603) 569-3360

Our Location and Hours

667 North Main Street
(NH Route 109)
Wolfeboro, NH  03894
Monday:
8am - 6pm
 
Tuesday:
8am - 6pm
 
Wednesday:
8am - 6pm
 
Thursday:
8am - 6pm
 
Friday:
8am - 6pm
 
Saturday:
Closed
 
Sunday:
Closed
 

Anti-Coagulant Rodenticide (Decon) Toxicity

Ingestion of anti-coagulant rodenticides (ie Decon) is one of the most common toxicities we see in veterinary medicine. These particular rat/mouse poisons cause a decrease in active clotting factors.  This can result in uncontrolled bleeding in any part of the body and can lead to death if not caught and treated early.

If the animal is caught soon after eating the poison, vomiting may be induced.  After that, treatment is started with vitamin K, which the animal may have to take for weeks depending on the type of bait that was ingested.  If the animal is already showing signs of uncontrolled bleeding, they will need transfusions and ICU care until they can start making their own clotting factors again.  Signs of bleeding can include: pale gums, bruising, blood in urine or stool, difficulty breathing, or lethargy/depression.  Contact the office or emergency clinic immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested rat poison.